Bedfordview Sports Medicine Physiotherapy is pleased to offer our clients access to Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy (ESWT).
What is Shockwave Therapy?
ESWT, also known as Shockwave Therapy or Radial Shockwave Therapy, provides treatments to patients suffering from a range of chronic conditions such as Plantar Fasciitis and Achilles Tendinopathy that are notoriously difficult to resolve.
What are the Benefits of Shockwave Therapy?
- Pain reduction – by changing the way the nerves signal pain (interferes with the pain signals in a positive way).
- Increased tissue healing – radial shock waves cause the release of chemicals in the cells which can reduce inflammation and pain.
- Improved blood flow – repeated shock waves create new blood flow promoting tissue healing and regeneration.
- Reduced muscle tightness – shock waves act on trigger points. These are the painful tender spots in muscles which often generate pain and dysfunction.
What conditions does Shockwave Therapy treat?
Shockwave Therapy has attracted several clinical research trials which have supported its use in the treatment of patients with the following conditions:
- Plantar Fasciitis/heel spur (calcaneal spur)
- Achilles tendinopathy
- Gluteal tendinopathy
- Proximal hamstring tendinopathy
- Calcific tendonitis of the shoulder
- Patella tendinopathy
- Tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis)
- Other forms of insertional tendinopathy
- Other musculoskeletal problems:
- Muscle strains
- Calcified Haematomas
- Shin splints
- Osteitis pubis
- Trigger points
- Osgood Schlatter Disease